Thursday, February 19, 2009

Life Goes On

Some song just popped into my head when I started typing, so the title is now "Life Goes On" thanks to the lyrics to a song I don't recall all the way that went something like "Life goes o-o-on, like this so-ooong... I can't wait for the world to sing, I can't wait to be happening...." on and on and such. Not an amazingly awesome song, but quite fitting whatever mood my brain is in apparently, or else I wouldn't have recalled it, right? I believe my brain's moods differ from my own.

So, as my English class is going to be reading Shakespeare's classic (Romeo and Juliet, duh!) soon, I'm going to give you all this wonderful little link to the best video recording of the Killers doing a cover of the song "Romeo and Juliet". The song manages to shed a funny light on the whole story, despite the mass killings and high suicide rates. (Alright, I am exaggerating a bit, calm down, I can say what I want! Man, I've never said that before. Weird to do so now....) Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87cLyBR1JTo

And if you're too lazy, or think the Dire Straits version is better (I'm a die-hard Killers fan, so I must disagree with those of you don't appreciate music like "When You Were Young", "Sam's Town", "Human", etc.) here are quotes from the song that I feel capture the most humorous essence of the song and the play:

"Lovestruck Romeo, sang the streets a serenade, layin' everybody low, with a love song that he made; Found a streetlight, stepped outta the shade, said somethin' like: 'You and me babe, how 'bout it?' Juliet said 'Hey, it's Romeo! You nearly gave me a heart attack.'..." (These are the first couple lines. I believe they accurately portray what basically happened in a way that the modern world can understand, with the way uncultured teens are--it's the truth, most teens don't bother with old English literature. Shameful.)

"When you gonna realize, it was just that the time was wrong?" (This is the last line of the chorus. I feel it sums up the whole suicide stuff nicely--the time was wrong, always. Wrong for them to meet, because Romeo wanted a rebound love from Rosaline--if only subconsciously--and wrong when they got married, because then Tybalt died--nice one Romeo! *rolling*eyes*--and wrong for Romeo to kill himself, because two seconds later Juliet wakes up to find a dead husband. Poor little 13 year old girl has to leave her family, accept the death of her cousin, and be willing to foresake her entire country for the love of a way older guy who commits suicide. I sense something wrong in that.)

Disagree?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I secretly believe that Rosalin didn't really want to be a nun. she just didn't like romeo. and she was juliet's cousin right? so what if rosalin asked juliet to distract romeo for her so she could go after the dude she wanted, but juliet ended up falling in love with romeo?

already_in_the_air said...

Hahahaha, that's really funny! (Almost as funny as the whole Juliet marries Pairs and has Romeo's baby and then Romeo comes back thing.... Hahaha, yeah, it is weird.)