Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Burning Bush...er, "Buche" (de Noel!)

For all you non-frenchies out there, a "buche de noel" is litterally a Yule Log. It's this SUPER yummerific (totally copyrighted that word right now) French pastry cake thing that is absolutely AMAZING!!! It's supposed to be a big fluffy sheet cake filled with icing and rolled into a log shape, covered in icing, and decorated in a Christmas-y/log-looking way, but I make mine a little differently. I use sugar cookies and whipped cream. And you let it sit (in a fridge, DUH!) for a few days until the cookies get all soft and then you add another layer of whipped cream and put cinnamon and nutmeg on the top of it, maybe with Christmas themed sprinkles or red and green colored sugar if you want something more festive. It's so delicious, and mine's soaking up whipped cream right now!!! Oh, and it CAN be made with chocolate, but unfortunately I have a friend who's allergic to chocolate, so mine is always non-chocolate. But you could substitute sugar cookies for chocolate with chocolate chip cookies, or fudge frosting instead of whipped cream, or even just sprinkle cocoa powder mixed with sugar (actually, hot chocolate mix works best--hold the marshmallows!) on top in place of cinnamon and/or nutmeg. If you like that much chocolate anyway.

But, not meaning to seem like I'm bragging (but that's what this is... dang it, I'm so freaking selfish!) I have tested that the non-chocolate version is best. In a way that was quite curious to me. You see, in 7th Grade French class, we had a few volunteers make Buche de Noels so we could experience them on our own. I was one of them. My friend who was allergic to chocolate was in that class, so I was the only person willing to make a non-chocolate Buche. Anyway, long story short is that when all was said and done, people told me mine was best. I didn't believe them, but there you go. My offering that a non-traditional version of food can be okay too! After all, where would we be if no one had made waffles, or orange-cranberry muffins, or pineapple salsa? Nowhere, my friends. Nowhere.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so looking forward to your buche de noel!!! I still remember in French class when we got to eat them and I assure you that yours was most definitely the best out of all the ones I tasted!! I think I just drooled on the keyboard =) Also, my mom still isn't letting me make my cranberry orange muffins because there is no time to day and I am really sad because baking is the only thing that keeps me going these days. But I'm sure that your burning bush of non-chocolatey deliciousness will bring me out of my sugar deprived depression. I can taste the whipped cream already!!! =)

already_in_the_air said...

Thanks so much!!! And if you want, you can totally come over and bake muffins over at my house anytime!!! : )

'Cuz I'm totally drooling on MY keyboard just waiting for those muffins!

Avian Fang said...

I am sorry to say this but I absolutely hate my french classes and could not wait to be free of them.

MMMM Muffins french logs of sugary goodness man I am drooling on my keyboard and I know i'll never taste either. LOL

Well I am really glad that you kept posting and you are doing great I am beginning to post again so feel free to check it out.

Avian Cullen

Avian Fang said...

Oh and why are you never on AIM?

already_in_the_air said...

Oh my gosh, you know I'm pathetically going to say this again and agin:

I'M SO SORRY!!!! I'm never on AIM, so I feel like a terrible person ignoring everyone, and I have no excuses. I'm deeply sorry.

Also, I hate most of my French classes too, but after three years of teachers speaking "franglais" at me and quizzing sporadically on vocab I really have no clue about, my mind goes kind of numb... Well, I enjoy SPEAKING French anyway. Plus you can say some pretty interesting stuff without getting in trouble when no one has any clue what you're saying. I have told off NUMEROUS fanily members--okay, just my sister--and they can't prove a thing. : )

Anonymous said...

I laugh at all you frenchies when I am sitting in latin and our teacher is skipping around the room and cracking jokes about the way the french people pronounce things and impersonating the grudge and discussing various rock bands that are good and you are sitting in your class room being quizzed on vocab and the like. I truly feel sorry for you but if you remember, I did say "join latin!!! it will be fun." and you said "no kinsey, latin will never be useful." well, at least my brain isn't numb!!!

already_in_the_air said...

You are quoting Kia, not me! I said Latin was dead-- and i now admit I was wrong. But you'll never prove it if I delete this comment!!! : )