Friday, April 17, 2009

This is Significant

It's so so ODD to think about this: ALL OF US. We're all here, same time, same place, living totally different lives, yet we're somehow connected in ways too complex to understand--a billion connections to a single person, and a billion connections away from them.... Life. You are right now IN THE LIVES of so many other people, yet at the same time, not with them at all. And connected in a billion ways you'll never know, because it's so complex. We are all TOGETHER and a million miles away at the same time, and we're never going to know who we change and who changes us, but one day we'll realize (like I have tonight) that we are all LINKED. This is a significant piece of information to me. Sometimes late night mind-wanderings are the times when it hits me hardest that WE EXIST and WE WILL LIVE and WE WILL DIE.

And it scares me. But in a good kind of way, that is more like the feeling you get from looking down a two thousand foot drop off a cliff into a valley in a haze of fog, and you aren't wearing any protective gear at all--like a parachute, or helmet, or elbow/knee-pads, or a bungee cord, or any rope at all. It's just you and the air and nothing but an inch between life and death. That's how close I've gotten to the edge of the universe without doing more than leave the roof outside my window as I look at the stars, which in comparison, make this very very insignificant.

4 comments:

deranged_cheese said...

i know this post was supposed to be awe inspiring and serious but why is the font different?

already_in_the_air said...

I have no clue. I wonder that quite a lot. I suppose technology has bouts of time where it hates me at the same time I hate it. :)

KatsuXpastry said...

wow. my mind-wanderings usually are more depressing and suicide inspiring. next time i feel the urge to think, ill say, "what would catherine contemplate?"

already_in_the_air said...

Aw, thank you! I always wished for this to be inspiring.... :P